Category Archives: Parish History
The Rev’d Stan and Marion Willey have just completed a comprehensive History of the Parish of Swansea, 1884-2014, recording 130 years of Worship, witness and work. The book is 212 A4 pages in length and includes hundreds of photographs. Copies are available at the Church or from Stan & Marion (4971 2205, <firstname.lastname@example.org>) for $25.
The text in part is taken from ‘Swansea Anglicans’ compiled by The Rev’d James Wilson and Margaret Guild-Wilson, to record the First Century of Anglican Witness and Worship in the Parish of Swansea, NSW, 1884-1985. The original illustrations, being of poor quality, have been replaced by new material.
Part II. The Reverends John Onions, John West, David Simpson, and Mesdames Lyn Taylor, Ann Harcus, Robyn Varcoe, Sue Marrett, Evelyn Onions, Dorothy West, and the Delforce and the Burkett families, have contributed family and parish information and photographs which have enhanced the text.
Part III is Diocesan and Parish History, beginning with Bishop Alfred Holland through the Episcopates of Roger Herft and Brian Farran. They have made their personal contribution and the major events recorded are taken from reports in ‘The Anglican Encounter’ of the relevant period. The Rev’ds John Brooker, Barbara Howard, Selwyn Dornan and Stan Hessey have made contributions which are greatly appreciated.
Part IV is a more detailed record of major parish organisations and particular aspects of witness and worship and contains illustrations contributed by parishioners and obtained from Parish photo albums.
Part V contains mainly personal contributions and profiles. They give us a glimpse of their ministry and are an indication of the faithfulness of so many past and present parishioners and their commitment to witness and worship.
The Rt Rev’d Greg Thompson, in his Foreword to the book, wrote: “A parish history provides a record of the life of a church over time. As a Diocese we are fortunate in having a number of these publications, which together form the building blocks of the bigger picture, a history of the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle. . . It is a tribute to the resilience of God’s people at Swansea, and outlying centres such as Catherine Hill Bay, Pelican and Gwandalan – that the Christian witness continues to this day. . .
“It is my hope that readers of this book, and especially the people of the Swansea Parish, will be encouraged to persevere in the great Christian enterprise of proclaiming the Gospel in word and action; “that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion on the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6)”